Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Positive Portrayal of Women In Hip-Hop

I'm going to shine a spotlight on an artist who showcases the elegance, sophistication, triumphs and tribulations of women.

Lauryn Hill



She tackles many important issues that women experience on a daily basis, and also discusses these conflictions with relevant points and eloquence. I have the highest respect for her because of her integrity and consistency. There is a lot to admire about Lauryn Hill.

She actually disappeared from the spotlight for 4 years after her solo album's success due to her distaste of fame and the industry.

But I appreciate her scarcity and will definitely go out and buy the "Miseducation of Lauryn Hill".




In a perfect world, the children in our modern age would have Lauryn to look up to rather than a bullshit female MC such as Nicki Minaj. 

Take Big Sean feat. Nicki's "Dance A$$" lyrics as a perfect example before you tell me otherwise.

As a listener who actively LISTENS to a track as an ensemble - the beat, lyrics, voice dynamics, delivery - I value lyricism in addiction to everything as a whole. I want to be positively affected by a verse, rather than have it fly over my head with a catchy melodic gimmick to cover up the irrelevance of what the artist is saying.


"Showing off your ass because you thinking it's a trend,
Girlfriend let me break it down for you again
You know I only say it because I'm truly genuwine
Don't be a hard rock when you really are a gem." - Doo Wop, Lauryn Hill



Check out the documentary below (shown on BET).


"Tell me who I have to be to get some reciprocity." - Ex-Factor, Lauryn Hill